Time to get ready for Spring!
Now is the time to get ready for nesting season and here are a few tips to get you started.
- February and March are the best time to clean out your existing bird houses and check for any needed repairs.
- When selecting a new house, choose the right size hole for the bird you wish to attract. For example bluebirds need a house with a 1.5" size hole.
- Make sure your houses have proper drainage and ventilation.
- Be sure to protect houses from predators. Placing houses on trees and fences make it easy for snakes and raccoons to raid the box. By putting your house on a pole with a baffle, you are protecting the baby birds. Also remove any perches that may be on your house. Cavity nesting birds don't need them but they allow predator birds a place to land.
- Make sure your house has a way to clean it out. This also gives you a way to monitor the nest and make sure everything is going well.
- Be sure to remove any dense brush around your houses. Cats can hide in shrubs and catch baby birds as they fledge the nest.
Need a new bird house? Come in to Wild Birds Unlimited and our Certified Bird Feeding Specialist would be happy to help you set up a new house.